Fond du Lac Office
As Underwriting Team Lead, candidate will oversee the daily responsibilities of the Underwriting team as well as underwrite a proportionate share of files. Team Lead duties include but are not limited to monitoring of service level agreement turn times for underwriting review, involvement in the decision making for tough underwriting scenarios, indirect involvement in preparing annual and mid-year reviews for underwriting staff and help identify areas for process improvement. Regular underwriting duties include determining the credit worthiness of a customer in order to minimize risk or loss to the bank by utilizing guidelines provided by secondary market investors as well as internal underwriting overlays.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Indirect supervision of underwriting staff which includes assisting in the preparation of performance reviews along with handling other personnel related tasks.
- Monitor underwriting process to ensure pre-determined service level agreements are met.
- Continual analysis of current processes to determine potential changes to increase efficiencies.
- Underwrite a portion of the retail loans submitted to underwriting which includes but is not limited to:
- Analysis of various retail loan products offered to assess credit worthiness of the customer,
- Utilization of automated underwriting systems to aid in overall underwriting decision, and
- Adherence to investor and internal underwriting guidelines to determine credit approval or denial.
- Effectively coordinate with the lender and processor to obtain documentation required to clear conditions.
- Review completed file for cleared conditions prior to closing.
- Answer telephone inquiries from employees.
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed.
Skills and Abilities Required
- Previous supervision and/or management experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Fannie Mae (or other secondary market) guidelines and regulations to ensure accurate documentation of mortgage loan files.
- Understanding of state, CFPB and OCC regulations to ensure all documentation is accurate and falls within legal guidelines.
- Ability to interact collaboratively and productively to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Strong attention to detail required.
- Ability to work under high stress levels, with frequent interruptions and with tight and often changing deadlines.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment and a computer with Excel, Word, and database software, Mortgagebot software, and other equipment as assigned.
- Must be able to move from one responsibility to another quickly and smoothly.
- Due to the changing volumes of the mortgage industry, must be able to work under pressure.
- Must be able to quickly reestablish priorities, responding to the changing needs of the retail loan underwriting department.
- Must be able to respond quickly to department needs or loan officer needs.
Training and Preparation
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field (or equivalent experience) preferred.
- 3-5 years of banking experience, including prior exposure to mortgage and secondary market underwriting preferred.
- Approximately six months to 1 year of on the job training to become familiar with established loan systems and procedures.
- Regulatory and compliance training to stay abreast of current and new state and government regulations.
Send Cover Letters and Résumés to:
National Exchange Bank & Trust
P.O. Box 988
Fond du Lac, WI 54936-0988
If you are an individual with disabilities and need assistance using this website to apply for employment, please contact Human Resources at (920) 921-7700.
We comply with the ADA and consider reasonable accommodation measures that may be necessary for eligible applicants/employees to perform essential functions.
National Exchange Bank & Trust is an equal opportunity employer of minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status of protected veteran, or status as an individual with a disability.