Retail Loan Underwriter
Fond du Lac Johnson Office
Under general supervision, but in compliance with established policies and procedures performs various functions, including the analysis and evaluation of retail loan products. Candidate will determine the credit worthiness of the customer in order to minimize risk or loss to the bank by utilizing guidelines provided by secondary market investors as well as internal underwriting overlays. The Retail Loan Underwriter position will also serve as a backup for Appraisal Review.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Analyze various retail loan products offered to assess credit worthiness of the customer.
- Utilize automated underwriting systems to aid in overall underwriting decision.
- Follow investor and internal underwriting guidelines to determine credit approval or denial.
- Effectively coordinate with the lender and processor to obtain documentation required to clear conditions.
- Review completed file for cleared conditions prior to closing.
- Answer telephone inquiries from employees.
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed.
Skills and Abilities Required
- Strong knowledge of Fannie Mae (or other secondary market) guidelines and regulations to ensure accurate documentation of mortgage loan files preferred.
- Strong understanding of state, CFPB and OCC regulations to ensure all documentation is accurate and falls within legal guidelines preferred.
- Ability to interact collaboratively and productively to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Strong attention to detail required.
- Ability to work under high stress levels, with frequent interruptions and with tight and often changing deadlines.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment and a computer with Excel, Word, and database software, Mortgagebot software, and other equipment as assigned.
- Must be able to move from one responsibility to another quickly and smoothly.
- Due to the changing volumes of the mortgage industry, must be able to work under pressure.
- Must be able to quickly reestablish priorities, responding to the changing needs of the retail loan underwriting department.
- Must be able to respond quickly to department needs or loan officer needs.
Training and Preparation
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field (or equivalent experience) preferred.
- 3-5 years of banking experience, including prior exposure to mortgage and secondary market underwriting preferred.
- Approximately six months to 1 year of on the job training to become familiar with established loan systems and procedures.
- Regulatory and compliance training to stay abreast of current and new state and government regulations.
Apply Online ›
OR Send Cover Letters and Résumés to:
National Exchange Bank & Trust
P.O. Box 988
Fond du Lac, WI 54936-0988
If you are interested in more information, please e-mail us or call us at (920) 921-7700.
If you are an individual with disabilities and need assistance using this website to apply for employment, please contact Human Resources at (920) 921-7700.
We comply with the ADA and consider reasonable accommodation measures that may be necessary for eligible applicants/employees to perform essential functions.
National Exchange Bank & Trust is an equal opportunity employer of minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status of protected veteran, or status as an individual with a disability.